The roots of Kingsley Montessori School begin with education pioneers Edith Kingsley and Helen Loud, who founded the original Kingsley School in Boston’s Back Bay in 1938. Starting with six students, the small private school grew steadily and eventually acquired 30 Fairfield Street at the corner of Fairfield and Commonwealth Avenue.
The garden level of the Fairfield building was home to another school, Back Bay Montessori, a preschool program founded in 1986. Expanded enrollment and shared values inspired the 1991 merger of the two programs into a new urban independent school for children ages three through twelve. The new school was named Kingsley Montessori School.